Are you interested in a career in museums? An internship at the State Historical Museum of Iowa is a great way to build your resume and gain real-world experience within the museum profession before graduation.
Internships with the State Historical Society of Iowa are offered year-round. You can apply for fall (September-December), spring (January-May) or summer (June-August) semesters. Internships are offered by a needs-only basis by individual departments. Therefore the number and offerings of internships varies each semester.
Please contact us if you have questions about internship opportunities.
Applications for spring internships are due Dec. 4, 2017. Applicaitons and resumes must be submitted through the State of Iowa Career website to be considered for the open positions.
- Communications Internship - Help write articles, photograph historic sites and assist with the department's e-newsletters and social meida accounts.
- Education Assistant Internship - Help the museum education team with spring programs, including but not limited to school field trips, family and break programs, exhibit guides and the development of a family guide.
- Events Internship - Assist and help with planning events held at the State Historical Building.
- State Archives Internship - Digitize World War I casualty photographs and state government records.
- State Historic Preservation Office Internship - Assist with planning the FORUM 2018 national and state-wide historic preservation conference.