Join us in commemorating the 175 years of Iowa statehood
On December 28, 2021, Iowa will mark a major milestone: 175 years of statehood. So throughout 2021, the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs invites Iowans of all ages to learn more about the people and places that have shaped the state. Here are a few ways to mark this big milestone:
- Visit the exhibit "Iowa's People & Places" at the State Historical Museum of Iowa or take a virtual tour.
- Tune into the Iowa Stories and Iowa History 101 webinar series.
- Join the Iowa History Book Club.
- Subscribe to The Annals of Iowa and receive a special 175th anniversary edition in October.
- Enjoy Goldie's Kids Club programs for children and families.
- Watch an Iowa movie or attend an Iowa film festival in person or online.
- Create and submit a self-portrait to celebrate the people who shape the state today! The portraits will be featured as a part of the 175th anniversary. If you belong to an organization that would like to request 25 or more self-portrait postcards, let us know and we'll send you a stack of them in a single envelope. Stamps not included.
You can find a complete list of activities on the State Historical Society of Iowa's calendar.