Application Guidelines for State Historical Society of Iowa Research Grants for 2023/2024
The State Historical Society of Iowa (SHSI) announces a grant program for 2023/2024. SHSI will award up to twelve research stipends of $1,500 each to support original research related to the history of Iowa or Iowa and the Midwest. Preference will be given to applicants proposing to pursue previously neglected topics or new approaches to or interpretations of previously treated topics. SHSI invites applicants from a variety of backgrounds, including academic and public historians, graduate students, and independent researchers and writers. Applications will be judged on the basis of their potential for producing publishable work. Grant recipients will be expected to produce a manuscript targeted for The Annals of Iowa, SHSI’s scholarly journal.
Proposals for the 2023/2024 awards must be received electronically or postmarked by April 17, 2023.
1. Attach a narrative description of the project.
The first page should include the following information:
- Your first name, middle initial (if used), and last name
- Address where you wish to receive mail and e-mail address
- Brief descriptive title of project
This proposal of 1,000 to 1,500 words (3 to 5 pages) should address these points:
- The subject to be investigated
- Aspects of the subject that will be most closely examined, and questions you are especially interested in exploring
- The thesis or argument you expect to propose
- The sources you plan to examine, and their availability and applicability to questions you are exploring
- What contribution this project will make to the existing historical literature
2. On a separate page, address the following issues:
- How well will the result of your project be suited for publication in the Annals of Iowa? [Caution: Do not underestimate the importance of this part of the application. Too often otherwise good proposals have failed because they describe dissertation or book-length projects without clarifying how they would be adapted for publication in the Annals of Iowa.]
- If this is part of a larger project, how much work have you completed up to this point?
- What additional research will the stipend support?
3. Include a resumé or vita (no more than 4 pages).
Submission of Proposals
Proposals must be received electronically or postmarked by April 17, 2023. Notification of awards will be made by June 1, 2023.
Send electronic applications to email@example.com
For physical applications, please send 6 copies of all four parts of the application (which may be printed two-sided to save paper) to:
State Historical Society of Iowa
600 East Locust Street
Des Moines, IA 50319
For further information, e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org
Evaluation of Proposals
Proposals will be evaluated according to the following criteria:
- Significance and originality (or fresh treatment) of the topic and argument
- Awareness of appropriate range of primary and secondary sources and their applicability to the proposed argument
- Quality of writing and organization
- Applicant’s potential for producing work appropriate for publication in the Annals of Iowa
Applications are welcomed from U.S. and international applicants. International applicants must possess either a valid Social Security Number or an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
In July 2023, each awardee will receive an initial payment of $500. A second payment of $500 will be made upon receipt of an interim progress report in April 2024. The final payment of $500 will be made upon receipt of a manuscript submission in September 2024.
Submission of Final Manuscript
The editor of the Annals of Iowa will evaluate the final manuscript for publication in the same manner as any other submission, which includes double blind external reviews. The Annals of Iowa retains the first option to publish but does not guarantee publication. Copyright of published manuscripts will belong to SHSI.
The awardee will acknowledge the State Historical Society of Iowa in any publication resulting in whole or in part from the supported research.