Eligibility Criteria and Documentation Requirements
- Applicants must be the property owner or obtain written permission from the owner of the property on which the marker will be placed and indicate such ownership or permission on the application.
- While the grant will cover the cost of the marker’s manufacture, applicants are responsible for the installation and ongoing maintenance of the marker.
- All time periods and geographic areas of state history may be represented by a State Historical Society of Iowa marker, but living people will not be the subject of a marker.
- Informational content on the marker must be historically verifiable using primary and secondary sources.
- Selection of historical markers will be based on two criteria: degree of statewide significance and level of public interest in the subject. Preference will be given to applications highlighting stories of historically underrepresented groups.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Historical Markers Committee and will include verification of the historical accuracy, location, and significance of the proposed marker.
- All requested information must be provided. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed by the Historical Markers Committee.
Physical Markers – Colors, Logo, etc.
- Markers are of cast aluminum, with raised black letters, powder coated for durability. Marker details: 24" x 36". 28 lines of 48 character spaces (including spaces and punctuation) per side. 1 post. Same text on both sides.
- Markers contain the seal of the State Historical Society of Iowa centered at the top. Each marker will contain the following inscription, “Erected in 2021 in commemoration of Iowa’s 175th anniversary of statehood by <name of applicant>and State Historical Society of Iowa with funding support from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation.”
This program will forge a stronger connection between Iowans and the state’s history and culture. Telling a broader story and making it accessible to more people will enhance Iowans’ understanding of the people and places that have made the state unique and will raise awareness of the key roles that historically underrepresented groups have played in Iowa’s history.
Please complete this online application.