- Learn about life in Iowa before it became a state and the many changes that took place when settlers arrived.
- Explore Iowa’s rich natural resources and the balance between using these resources and preserving them.
- Discover what inspired more than 76,000 Iowans to fight for the Union and the role they played in the nation’s bloodiest war.
- Explore Iowa’s legacy with the silver screen from the early 1900s to today in this blockbuster exhibit.
- Discover the history of bicycling in Iowa including the story of the Des Moines Register’s Annual Great Bicycle Ride Across Iowa (RAGBRAI®) that began in 1973.
The museum has more than 80,000 objects and about 1,500 objects are on exhibit at any given time. More objects are on display in the capitol building and other museums in Iowa.
Programs and Workshops
The State Historical Society of Iowa provides a variety of programs for schools, groups and individuals at the museum and across the state.
Tuesday–Friday 9 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.
Library & Archives Hours - Open by appointment only
Find the latest hours and make an appointment
Complimentary admission - masks are optional for all visitors and are available at the front desk.
Closed state holidays