Winners from district contests compete at the state contest for the chance to participate in the National History Day Contest in College Park, Maryland. The 2018 National History Day State Contest will be held April 30, 2018 at the Iowa Events Center in Des Moines.
|State Contest Schedule||Date|
|Registration Deadline||Register by April 10 at 11:59 p.m. CDT|
|Website Lockout||April 16 at 12:00 p.m. (noon) CDT|
|Papers Due||April 16 at 12:00 p.m. (noon) CDT|
|State Contest||April 30|
|Websites Available||May 1|
State Contest Registration
Congratulations on advancing to the state contest! Before registering read the State Contest Guide for important instructions. All state contest entries must register online by 11:59 p.m. (CDT) on April 10.
- Register each individual project separately.
- Register each group project once and include all participant names when prompted.
During registration you may self-nominate your project for up to two special awards. Please review the list of awards prior to registering.
Please check with your teacher to determine how your entry fee should be paid. Entry fees are $20.00 per student for the junior and senior divisions and $15.00 per student for the youth division. Group projects must include $20.00 for each student in the group, not $20.00 per entry. Entry fees must be recieved in the state office by April 23 (this is not a postmark deadline).
- Credit Card
- Purchase Order – Schools should contact the state coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org to initiate a purchase order.
- Check – Send checks and completed Check Form to:
National History Day in Iowa
State Historical Society of Iowa
600 E. Locust St.
Des Moines, IA 50319
If participating in the Historical Paper category, submit a PDF of your paper online by 12:00 p.m. (noon) on Monday, April 16.
Paper file names should adhere to the following format:
- Format: paper-division-lastname-firstname.pdf
- Junior Example: paper-junior-boland-vania.pdf
- Senior Example: paper-senior-boland-vania.pdf