- Explain two ways white landowners exploited African-American laborers as described by Frederick Douglass.
- In this excerpt, Douglass explained how the sharecropping system worked. How would you characterize it? Use evidence from the speech to support your characterization.
- Consider the voting qualifications in "What A Colored Man Should Do To Vote." How would this arrangement of labor impact the ability of African Americans to meet voting qualifications in those states?
- Paraphrase the section beginning with "To my mind …"
- At the time of this speech, approximately 80 percent of southern African Americans lived and worked on farms. What alternatives might rural African Americans have had for employment?
Douglass, Frederick, "Address ... January 9th, 1894, on the Lessons of the Hour - Folder 1 of 8," 9 January 1894. Courtesy of Library of Congress