Courtesy of Library of Congress, "North Africa. Merchants of the Sahara Desert," between 1880 and 1923
The photograph shows two merchants in the Sahara Desert with very large wares on the backs of camels. They are traveling merchants through the desert. The image shows how different places in the world have different types of climate and landscapes than Iowa.
- Examine the image and describe what you see.
- What might the men be carrying on the camels?
- Describe the vegetation in the background of the image.
- How does Iowa's geography differ from the Sahara Desert in North Africa?
- How does this image compare to the photos of workers in Costa Rica and farm land in Monona? What do all three images have in common? How are they different?
"North Africa. Merchants of the Sahara Desert," between 1880 and 1923. Courtesy of Library of Congress