Primary Source Sets
Through a grant from the Library of Congress Teaching with Primary Sources (TPS) program, the State Historical Society of Iowa developed Primary Source Sets to help educators meet the Iowa history standards within the Iowa Core in Social Studies. These Primary Source Sets address national and international history as well as Iowa’s history within each set.
- Educators are encouraged to explore sets beyond their grade level – there are great resources in all grade levels that you can tailor to your students.
- Within the Primary Source Sets, educators can download and print the Set Teaching Guide or Printable Image and Document Guide or view the sources digitally.
- Documents are excerpted and transcribed for ease of use.
- Text dependent questions are provided for each resources to start conversations with students.
- Search by subject, time period or grade level.
Need help using primary sources with your students? Download the Primary Source Toolkit which is filled with tips and tools.
Images credited to the State Historical Society of Iowa in these primary source sets are provided solely for educational use. Requests for copies and permissions to use for other purposes should be directed to History.Research@iowa.gov.