The Iowa City Downtown District is requesting proposals for a semi-permanent short-term mural project on the pavement of North Linn Street in Iowa City on the block between Market Street and Bloomington Street on the south half between Market and the alley. The budget for this pop-up project is $4,000, which is inclusive of all material costs, artist lodging, and travel, etc.
This area of Linn Street was closed to traffic last year to allow for expanded outdoor seating related to COVID-19 precautions. The area will be closed off to traffic again this year and the ICDD is seeking an engaging and original mural to be painted in the area to help beautify and define the space for pedestrian use. The area open to be painted is approximately 135’x40’ and while designs need not necessarily paint 100% of the space, the whole space should be activated by the design.
They will look for proposals that meet or exceed the following guidelines:
- Must have prior mural experience (need not be with pavement specifically)
- Design must leave sections of the pavement open to aid traction. For example, painting the pavement as a checkerboard vs painting the entire area one solid layer of paint.
- Design must be abstract or otherwise non figurative or representational. This does not precludes representational elements, but we would like to avoid one overarching image in favor of interesting patterns and designs.
- Designs that enliven the space and bring a joyful presence to those sitting in the area, while avoiding designs that are abrasive or highly disorienting.
- Designs that look engaging based on the pedestrian experience moving through the space and lingering in the space, vs. only from a drone shot.
- All “content” will be considered and we welcome unusual or challenging designs, however designs that are emphatically partisan, religious, or offensive will not be considered.
Learn more and submit a proposal by May 5, 2021.