The Iowa City Downtown District is requesting proposals for a permanent mural project on the east elevation of George’s Buffet on Market Street in Iowa City. The budget for this mural is $6,000, which is inclusive of all material costs, artist lodging, and travel, etc.
George’s Buffet has been an Iowa City mainstay since 1939. Located next to a City surface parking gives this wall a lot of breathing room and a prominent location. The Northside is one of Iowa City’s most walkable areas, and the wall is highly visible as you enter town along Market Street, a one-way arterial that points towards this wall. They are looking for a mural that is highly original, gives a strong sense of place, and has a timeless quality. They are not looking for a specific theme or content for this piece, but rather something that speaks somehow to Iowa City’s progressive community, the history and character of the neighborhood, or even perhaps in subtle ways honors George’s. The Northside is authentically itself, and authentically “Iowa City” – a successful mural in this spot will be the same.
They will look for proposals that meet or exceed the following guidelines:
- Artists must show prior mural experience working at this scale
- While designs that cover the entire surface of the wall are encouraged, designs need not necessarily paint the entire surface of the wall and can leave some brick exposed in ways that feel integral to the design – either way, the whole space should be activated.
- Designs may be abstract or representational/figurative, and may choose to include text.
- Any design including historic or cultural references must show thoughtful preliminary research.
- Designs should be engaging both for pedestrian foot traffic as well as automobile traffic along Market Street.
- Designs should incorporate the windows thoughtfully, or employ a design that makes the windows recede from view and become background noise to the overarching design.
- You look just fabulous in front of ALL murals on Instagram – please no specifically selfie oriented designs. (e.g. – wings).
- All “content” will be considered and they welcome unusual or challenging designs, however designs that are emphatically partisan, religious, or offensive will not be considered.
Learn more and submit a proposal by May 16, 2021.