Historic Preservation Office
Visit the State Historic Preservation Office to learn more about the preservation and protection of Iowa’s historic resources; historic preservation education opportunities and workshops; and state and federal historic preservation programs, including:
- National Register of Historic Places
- Certified Local Government Program
- State and Federal Rehabilitation Tax Incentives
- Review and Compliance Program
- Statewide Inventory of Historic Properties
You are encouraged to make an appointment to ensure the appropriate staff is available to assist you.
State Historical Building – 3rd Floor East
600 E. Locust St.
Des Moines, IA 50319
Wednesday – Friday: 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. or by appointment
Closed official state holidays (Nov. 10, Nov. 23, Nov. 24, Dec. 25, Jan. 1)
Complimentary parking is available in State Capitol Complex Parking Garage located at Pennsylvania Ave. and Grand Ave. Metered street parking is also available.