We empower Iowa to build and sustain culturally vibrant communities by connecting Iowans to the people, places and points of pride that define our state.
Iowa is recognized as a state that fosters creativity and serves as a catalyst for innovation where the stories of Iowa are preserved and communicated to connect past, present and future generations.
The Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs:
- Preserves and promotes Iowa’s collective heritage and unique sense of place
- Cultivates creativity, participation and learning in the arts
- Engages diverse statewide audiences through education initiatives, exhibitions and public programs
- Provides tools, resources and knowledge to promote networking, collaboration and best practices to nurture cultural leadership
- Invests in people and projects that foster economic growth and enhance the cultural identity of local communities
Responsiveness: We believe our priorities and programs should be adaptable, reflecting and respecting the evolving needs of Iowans.
Community: We believe culture at its root is a shared experience and we seek to foster relationships among people with everything we do.
Creativity: We believe that encouraging new ideas, approaches and fresh thinking are necessary for Iowa and our organization.
Collaboration: We believe partnership is essential to achieving greater impact, relevance and sustainability for our organization and our state.
Ingenuity: We believe in making the best use of the resources that we have, including space, time, expertise and dollars.
Stewardship: We believe it is our responsibility to preserve Iowa’s cultural legacy and resources.