In the fall of 2020, the State Historic Preservation Office created Iowa’s Rural Heritage Revitalization Grants with funding from the U.S. Department of the Interior’s Paul Burhn Historic Revitalization Grant Program.
The federal program formerly known as the Historic Revitalization Subgrant Program was renamed in 2019 to honor the legacy of Bruhn, an influential preservationist from Vermont. But the program’s objective remains the same: to rehabilitate and protect significant historic and, in doing so, foster economic development in rural communities.
Iowa’s Rural Heritage Revitalization Grants support physical preservation projects, including architectural and engineering services. The grants are designed to help fund the rehabilitation of National Register-listed properties in Iowa’s rural communities and are selected through a competitive process.
- Local governments, including Certified Local Governments and Tribes
- Nonprofit organizations with 501(c)3 designations
The property must meet all three of the following criteria:
- Located in an area with fewer than 50,000 residents -- the definition of “rural” according to the U.S. Census Bureau.
- Listed on the National Register of Historic Places or designated as a National Historic Landmark.
- Owned by the applicant, which is either a local government or a nonprofit.
Grant requests shall be no less than $75,000 and no more than $125,000. The State Historic Preservation Office anticipates awarding grants to five to eight projects for a total of $600,000.
Applicants must submit applications via the State Historical Society of Iowa’s SlideRoom, an online application portal.
Grant applications must be submitted online by 11:59 p.m. Feb. 1, 2021.
- Read the application guidelines.
- Read the scoring matrix.
- Watch the recorded webinars, Grant overview and Grant Writing Tips and Slideroom and Grant Application.
- Read the Frequently Asked Questions.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org. The staff of the State Historic Preservation Office will be happy to help.