If you live in a unique community with a strong vision for innovation, and enhancing vitality and quality of life, while staying true to what makes your community unique, the Iowa Great Places Program can recognize your efforts and help bring those visions to reality. The program provides designation and supports the development of new and existing infrastructure intended to cultivate the unique and authentic cultural qualities of neighborhoods, communities and regions in Iowa.
For guidance on community visioning or to find resources from other state agencies, view the corresponding resources.
- Who: Nonprofits, Communities
- What: Designation, professional development and fall 2021 funding eligibility with an average award of $227,355 with a required 1:1 match
- When: The deadline to submit an application for Iowa Great Places designation is 11:59 p.m., May 3, 2021.
How to Apply
The Iowa Great Places designation program is not currently accepting applications. Please check back in spring 2021 for the most current program guidelines and application. Recent applicants can access the FY2021 designation guidelines online.
Manage Your Designation
Download the handbook to learn how to manage your designation, including Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) compliance and publicity. View the Creative Communities and State Department Resources web pages for additional guidance.
Iowa Great Places Promotion
Please use the most recent versions of Iowa Great Places and Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs logos on materials promoting your Iowa Great Place. Find information on how to acknowledge the department's support in the handbook.
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs and Iowa Great Places Logos
- Send images and event details about your Iowa Great Place for promotion in Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs communication outlets
As a designee, you must complete the annual report form at the end of each calendar year and share the impact of the designation on arts and culture in Iowa.