If you live in a unique community with a strong vision for innovation, and enhancing vitality and quality of life, while staying true to what makes your community unique, the Iowa Great Places Program can recognize your efforts and help bring those visions to reality. The program provides designation and supports the development of new and existing infrastructure intended to cultivate the unique and authentic cultural qualities of neighborhoods, communities and regions in Iowa.
For guidance on community visioning or to find resources from other state agencies, view the corresponding toolkits.
- Who: Nonprofits, Communities
- What: Designation, professional development and fall 2020 funding eligibility with an average award of $210,000 with a required 1:1 match
- When: Deadline to apply has been extended from May 1, 2020 to June 15, 2020 for five year designation
How to Apply
- Read the guidelines for Designation & Re-Designation
- Watch the informational webinar*
- Complete the application
*Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, updates to the deadline have been made since the webinar was recorded. See program guidelines for current information.
Manage Your Designation
Download the handbook to learn how to manage your designation, including Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) compliance and publicity. View the community visioning and state agency resources toolkits for additional guidance.
Iowa Great Places Promotion
Please use the most recent versions of Iowa Great Places and Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs logos on materials promoting your Iowa Great Place. Find information on how to acknowledge the department's support in the handbook.
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs and Iowa Great Places Logos
- Send images and event details about your Iowa Great Place for promotion in Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs communication outlets.
As a designee, you must complete the annual report form at the end of each calendar year and share the impact of the designation on arts and culture in Iowa.