If you live in a unique community with a strong vision for innovation, and enhancing vitality and quality of life, while staying true to what makes your community unique, the Iowa Great Places Program can recognize your efforts and help bring those visions to reality. The program provides designation and supports the development of new and existing infrastructure intended to cultivate the unique and authentic qualities of neighborhoods, communities and regions in Iowa.
For guidance on community visioning or to find resources from other state agencies, view the corresponding toolkits. If you are interested in a mentorship with a currently designated Iowa Great Place to prepare for designation, please contact us.
- Who: Nonprofits, Communities
- What: Designation, professional development and fall 2018 funding eligibility with an average award of $185,000 with a required 1:1 match
- When: Deadline to apply for designation is May 1, 2018
How to Apply
Current Iowa Great Places
Manage Your Designation
Download the handbook to learn how to manage your designation, including Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) compliance and publicity. View the community visioning and state agency resources toolkits for additional guidance.
Iowa Great Places Promotion
Please use the most recent versions of Iowa Great Places and Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs logos on materials promoting your Iowa Great Place. Find information on how to acknowledge the department's support in the handbook.
- Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs and Iowa Great Places Logos
- Send images and event details about your Iowa Great Place for promotion in Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs communication outlets.
As a designee, you must complete the annual report form at the end of each calendar year and share the impact of the designation on arts and culture in Iowa.
Current Endorsed Projects
View all current projects endorsed by the Iowa Great Places Citizen’s Board and eligible for state agency extra consideration.
Designation Award History
View all current and past communities designated as an Iowa Great Places.