The National Endowment for the Humanities has designated the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs as its interim state humanities partner. In this new role, the department will work with constituents to serve and strengthen the humanities and culture in Iowa.
With funding from the National Endowment for the Humanities, the department is investing in humanities programs that foster discussion, promote civic engagement and learning, and support the recovery of the humanities sector across Iowa.
- Humanities Collaboration Grants offer support for public humanities projects that encourage contemplation, spark conversation and engage the community through collaboration with another nonprofit organization, institution of higher education or school. Eligible projects will use the humanities as the central resource to involve and benefit diverse groups of Iowans through educational programming that explore the human experience. View the program details for guidelines and link to the online application.
- Humanities Partnership Grants are discretionary grant awards for highly unique, one-time opportunities that fall outside of the regular granting cycles and that align with the department's mission, vision, strategic goals and funding priorities, as well as those of its interim state humanities council. View program details for guidelines.
- American Rescue Plan Humanities Grants offered support to help Iowa’s humanities sector respond to the coronavirus pandemic. Review the American Rescue Plan Humanities Grant recipients online.
- The department announced the first round of Humanities Project Grants for humanities activities taking place in fiscal year 2022 (July 1, 2021 - June 30, 2022). View program details and the list of recipients.
- American Rescue Plan Humanities Grant
- American Rescue Plan Humanities Grant Final Report
- FY 22 Humanities Project Grant
- FY 22 Humanities Project Grant Final Report
- Grantee Handbook
Please note: Eligible applicants may apply for and receive up to one grant award through the interim State Humanities Council, per fiscal year, in addition to applying for and receiving up to one grant award through other Department of Cultural Affairs grant programs, including grants administered by the Iowa Arts Council.
The department will seek input from Iowa’s humanities sector and national peer groups to develop programming that meets the current needs of the field in the state. New programs will be announced in 2022.
Sign up to receive the latest news about Iowa’s new partnership activities from the Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs. If you'd like to receive updates about Iowa humanities programs - as well as programs and resources about art, history, film and culture - please let us know.
For general inquiries about Iowa’s new interim humanities partner, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
For information about grants, reports or programs administered by Iowa’s previous humanities council, please contact the National Endowment for the Humanities directly at email@example.com.